The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.13 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Learning / Neurlogical AI in Arma/Video games
Hello, many people won’t know this but I went to university and Studied how to program and make video games, in my final year I researched learning agents, AI which could be taught and change their behaviour based on what they see.
I thought I would start this topic is discuss the advantages, disadvantages and any questions people have about the possibility of learning agents in video games. Bellow I have attached some common questions.
Just to explain my background I have just graduated, I am no expert, I do not fully understand this, this is based on my current experience and what I have learnt. I could be wrong; this information will likely be outdated in a few months’ time, this field is expanding and changing.I am here to learn and share this awesome thingI am going to do an FAQ; I will explain stuff at a beginner level.I would love for people to get involved and ask questions and talk about this.
Keep it kind, keep it respectful.
Just ask for me to respond in more detail and I will.

So, FAQ:

Is an AI that learns possible? Yes, a few companies have made some as well.

Is an AI that learns possible in a video game? Yes, Unity has a SDK for it, it is really basic though

Why don’t all games have learning agents?:  It takes allot of time and resources to train, it took me a week just to teach an AI not to shoot a wall and it would still do it, current learning technology is still being developed. Also, the current “standard” in video game AI is golden and most of the time the AI is realistic.

What is the best use for a learning agent?: Commander, it is the easiest thing for agents to learn, they do not need to learn complex tasks just strategy so it’s pure learning which is good.

Would a Learning agent be possible in Arma?: I do not fully know, I was researching into it, you would most likely need to break the engine and stop Armas AI, the best use case I came up with was the enemy commander controlling what the AI doneDo I see Learning agents in the future of video games? Yes but I think they will be more rare then I would like, I think it is a really cool feature for certain use cases.
J.Raider, J.Keyes, L.James like this post

Messages In This Thread
Learning / Neurlogical AI in Arma/Video games - by J.Buxton - 31 Jul 20, 2044